These tips are mainly for your home page, or landing page, but you could use them anywhere. The idea is to catch the reader’s attention, tell them about your business, and, most importantly get them to pick up the phone or email you with an enquiry.
1. Start with a great headline. This will catch the reader’s attention and encourage them to keep reading. Make it about them eg. Would you like to…?, Have you ever wondered…?
2. Tell them about your business but keep it light and informative, don’t bog them down in facts and figures. Have links on the home page for potential customers to click on, taking them to more detailed statistics and information.
3. Dot points are great, so are lists (like this one!). They break the information down into short chunks. Remember, if the reader gets bored, they will click away. When people on the web have very short attention spans.
4. Offer the customer something. A discount, two for one offer, gift with purchase, it all depends on what you are selling, but if they’re going to choose between two very similar service providers and yours is giving them something for free, it might give you the edge.
5. Have a link to an email enquiry so it’s really easy for customers to contact you. If you can, set up an enquiry sheet and make it even easier for them.
6. Set up a Frequently Asked Questions page (FAQ) and provide a link to this on the home page. If a person can satisfy themselves regarding the majority of concerns they might have without calling you to get the answers, they’ll know you’re trustworthy.
7. Keep the page updated. If you can add any specials, updates or new services frequently, it keeps your website/webpage fresh and interesting. It also can help with Search Engine Optimisation, a whole subject in itself.
If doing all this to your website excites you, then go for it! If, however, writing is not something you feel you are good at, or you’re simply too busy to make a start, you might benefit from the services of a professional copywriter.
A good copywriter can meet with you and obtain an extensive brief about your business. They’ll discover what you’re selling and what makes it special. They’ll be able to create some compelling copy for your website designed to capture the attention of potential customers and convert page visits to enquiries. Whatever you decide, following the 7 rules provides you with a quality base for a great homepage.